House


I’m not sure what I remember anymore

What is a memory?

What is a memory of a memory?

 

I do remember the day you picked me up

The day you told me 

The mountain in front of us was called 

Grasshopper Hill, because

Grasshoppers have to pack a lunch to get up it

 

I remember your white shirt

Sweat stained 

Fat flopping over your grease marked jeans

I remember sitting beside you 

Gear shift between my knees

 

I wanted to play barbies with

Your daughter

The one I went to school with 

But she wanted to play house

Said we had to take our clothes

Off 

Get into bed

Because that’s what mommies and daddies do

 

I remember being nervous, feeling

Something wasn’t right 

Barbies on the floor 

Untouched 

Naked 

As most barbies end up 

Sooner or later

 

But then

I remember remembering

There you were

Watching us

Telling me it was ok

That you and she played house together

All the time

 

Then

I don’t remember 

What happened next 

My memory goes from vivid technicolour 

To a blizzard of static 

I don’t remember and 

I don’t remember remembering 

Anything at all

 



By: T.J. Ruberto 2021

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sense

Waiting