Abandoned

 

I bounced up and down on a bed made for two,

Singing in my little girl voice in my little girl shoes,

Oblivious, Unknowing, and completely carefree,

My daddy was there just watching over me.

 

But then you cried.

Why was daddy crying?

My joyous bouncing stopped.

Abruptly.

 

You said the time had come for you to go,

You said you’d see my soon (that didn’t happen though).

It was time to return home to your motherland,

The place that called your heart, reached out its hand.

A place too far removed from where I was or where I’d be,

Oceans apart forevermore, across the land and sea.

 

But little girls need their daddies, right?

They need to be loved and cared for…

Protected.

Nurtured.

 

You said you couldn’t live here anymore.

It was too hard to stay in a country that wasn’t yours.

You said you had to go home to a place so far away,

Hopped on a plane, said goodbye, and left that very day.

You went back to the scrapping, pubs and brawls, 

I guess that’s what you do when the booze calls. 

 

You went home to a place you felt safe

From the confines of married life,

The child, 

Your baby girl,

Me.

 

You chose to live in a place where I couldn’t be,

A place where you could be yourself, far away from me.

You chose freedom, but how free were you,

When shackled to a bottle and a new family you grew? 

You never called, you never came, no letter ever sent.

You’re the one who left that day, up and off you went.  

It was you that gave me up, said goodbye to your sweet girl,

You’re the one who packed your bags and walked out of my world. 

 

By: T.J. Ruberto 2021

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sense

House

Waiting